Contract: Full Time
Meadowdale Head Office of large FMCG plants in the Gauteng area, urgently seeks suitably qualified and experienced individual to support and co-ordinate the mechanical engineering functions at four of their plants.
Individual will be responsible for ensuring effective solutions in improving and maintaining mechanical capacity, reliability and efficiency, development and conceptual design of solutions to mechanical improvements and projects and developing and maintaining expertise within the company.
Individual will report to the Operations Support Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Leading a team of mechanical engineers to ensure the best technical solutions identified and implemented, taking account of the business context.
• Assisting with prioritising activities to achieve maximum benefit to the organisation.
• Communicating with various levels within and outside the organisation.
• Engaging in projects from conceptualisation to implementation and commissioning. This will involve the provision of mechanical engineering support for the projects, drawing up of project specific standards, engaging in various aspects of equipment / system design, preparation of budget estimates, involvement in procurement, negotiations with outside parties, and quality control during manufacture and installation, acceptance testing and commissioning.
• Providing mechanical engineering expertise to operations in order to ensure smooth and optimum performance of plant machinery and systems.
• Carrying out problem solving, failure root cause analysis, provision of solutions and preventative measures.
• Assisting with the building of technical competence in the organisation. This will include provision of mechanical engineering leadership in the adoption of new technologies and best practices, dissemination of technical information, holding of seminars and workshops and the direct mentoring of engineers in training.
• Developing and applying of good engineering standards and practices and the carrying out of technical audits.
• Providing people and technical leadership necessary for development and implementation of innovative solutions
• Effectively conducting team meetings.
• Providing people and technical leadership necessary to ensure both the department and facility meet and/or exceed goals in critical manufacturing success areas (Cost, Quality, System Utilization, Customer Service, Health, Safety and Environment).
Pumps (positive displacement & centrifugal), gearboxes, fans, compressors, centrifuge, welding technologies, bearings, basic structural engineering, asset management
• Mechanical Engineering Design
Detail equipment design & specification, international drawing standards, commissioning
• Embedded Generation
Boilers, combustion, fuel, turbines, stack abatement, fuel storage, generators, and protection.
• Materials Handling
Technologies, selection, system specification/design, detail design
• Project Management
Budget preparation, feasibility studies, basic project management practises
• Software Tools
MS Word, MS Excel, MS Projects, AutoCAD.
• Safety, Health and Environment
OHS Act and Regulations, National Environmental Management Acts, SANS.
Desired Experience & Qualification
• BSc Eng (Mechanical), from an institution accredited by the Engineering Council of South Africa for registration as a Professional Engineer. OR
• B.Tech Mechanical Engineering, from an institution accredited by the Engineering Council of South Africa for registration as a Professional Technologist. [In the case of a BTech qualification, the Individual should demonstrate behavioural competencies normally expected from BSc qualified individuals, in particular conceptual, critical, creative, and analytical thinking].
• Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer or Professional Technologist
• A Government Certificate of Competency – Factories (GCC) would be an added advantage
• More than five years of mechanical engineering experience in a heavy industrial process environment with focus on equipment design, maintenance, operation, performance optimisation.
• Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in managing a group of technical resources in a multidiscipline environment.
Package & Remuneration
Large company salary and benefits